Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Lines of Time

My face is graced
with the recording of time.
Etched with appointed
lines upon the surface.

Stacked horizons stretching across my brow,
the lineage of life's surprises.

Grooved verticals in-between,
the questions and the unanswered.
Disappointment, curiosity,
and determination
leaving the same deep marks.

The growing creases on my upper lip
exposing the journey of kisses.
Kisses as a mom, kisses as a woman.
All paving the way for more to follow.

Crow's feet webbed,
the channel for tears.
Eyes like the river's dance,
guided through moments
of laughter, sadness and joy.

Miles of smiles 
rippling like waves on the sand,
from cheekbone to cheekbone.

Lines drawn like those on a roadmap.
The surface reflecting where I've been.
The mirror, a snapshot of where I am.

But in my mind's eye,
a smooth surface prevails.
Who I feel I am on the inside
and spaces I have yet to discover.


1 comment: