Friday, June 12, 2015

The Trip that Rocked my World – Part I (June 14, 2014)

I was beyond excited, already grinning at the mere fact that I was visiting a new city, staying in a beautiful hotel suite (feeling like a Queen) and about to visit the architectural work of Frank Gehry. I’m his #1 fan—but he doesn’t know that.

As we rounded the corner to the Pacific Science Center, I saw the Seattle Space Needle peeking above the tree line, behind it hints of the colorful and wiggly work of Gehry, his architectural signature in contoured lines of bended metal sculpting the EMP building.

Giddy as a teenage girl, I’m armed and ready with my Canon arsenal dangling from my right shoulder. I’m wide-eyed and smiling ear-to-ear. I can’t believe I am here!

Just around the next bend, we’re almost there, just a few more steps to my own personal amusement park of architecture and…BAM!

The pathway, lacy concrete block style pavers, specifically made for grass to grow in between the decorative gaps, proved to be more dangerous than met my eyes and greeted my feet. The ill perceived evenness skewed by its indifference to shadow and light, under the typical overcast Seattle sky. My right foot caught by an unexpected elevated section, sent me flying—and by no means was this first class with champagne and steaming warm towels.

I knew in my heart that I would not be recovering from my own body’s trajectory. It’s incredible just how fast the mind works. Tried as I might to adjust my core to right myself with invisible wings, I shifted into a preparation for landing, which was no more than a thought, less than a split second acknowledgment to myself that I was going down, with no landing gear to speak of.

I’m sure you’ve experienced the phenomena of time slowing down during events like these. Yet in reality, it all happened so fast. My hands instinctively lifted up and came forward to protect my body and my face from the now inevitable impact with the ground before me.

Down, down, down.  My eyes closed shut tightly. I mean who wants to see what’s coming right? Pain starts to register in so many places my brain can’t file the information quite that fast. What to attend to first? I feel the bulk of the impact in my right breast. I landed on my camera. The lens that had been pointing out and away had somersaulted inward and broken my fall. I would learn later that my fall had also broken my lens. (Side not to Apple, the rest of the trip was photographed with my iPhone!)

My eyes remained closed for a while. It was better that way I thought. I began to scan my body, check-in on my own collateral damage. I rolled over onto my back, knees bent and up. I hear Steve saying “Don’t move… don’t get up.” I wasn’t going anywhere. The information continued to pour in on me, over me. Broken bones? Nope, don’t think so. No need for the bone density test. Check! I can feel certain parts radiating out in painful reaction. The top of my right foot, palms of both of my hands, my knees and elbows and my right breast. That’s going to hurt. I had no clue then just how true my thought would actually manifest.

As I laid on the ground I could hear people as they passed by speaking in concerned tones, asking “Is she okay?” After some time, I slowly rolled up with assistance to a seated position and today as I think back to that very dazed moment in time, I was in some kind of altered state. Somewhere between here and there…


Fast-forward one year as I reflect today on the, count-them-on-less-than-two-hands, pain free days, I remain grateful and for the healing hands that continue to bring me back to my whole being. I’m sure there are many great lessons to be learned, as of this entry I have not met them all…yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment