Saturday, February 22, 2014

Heart Rush

During the 23rd consecutive day of yoga, I experienced something there that I have felt at other times and places, and perhaps because it didn't come during a time of stillness, it came and went in less than a momentary notice. It didn't hang with brilliance and longevity like the twinkling star waiting to be named, dangling above in the dark sky of night.

The front of my heart in a posture hovering above the grounded earth, the back side open, soft and vulnerable, greeting the sky. In stillness for a period of time, long enough to bring about change, to open barricaded channels built over time and experience.

What I speak of, the thing I have named, is an inexplicable feeling, like a wave of warmth and goodness blanketing the soul. A brief encounter with what I believe to be our true nature, and it came to me in a "heart rush." Those were the two words that came to me, unsolicited, magically popping into my head. The wakeless feelings of pure joy and connection happened twice during my practice. The gratuitous naming both a blessing and a curse. The blessing, honoring it with a name in recognition and appreciation. The curse, giving it a name and wondering if it will visit me again.

Every day on the yoga mat brings with it a new experience, just like the rhythms of our lives. Some days nothing but bliss and ease, other days the chaos of the mind can only simmer down to a whisper. The body bending into postures promoting delicious releases of histories in pain and dis-ease, and gloriously, like this day, in an unexpected and welcome moment, a "heart rush."

Dedicated to my teacher Cindy Angelina Shaw, who provides the safe and loving environment for release, transformation and love.

Namaste.


2 comments:

  1. Lori; I'm so very happy be a part of your process! It was just last night around 10:30pm that I was speaking of the very same thing with my roommate. I so long for that feeling of utter love inside and out that I have felt at time with a glimpse and at others for a lingering period of time. Sadness sometimes creeps in with the question, "What can I do to get that feeling back?" And the answer last night was powerful. That's just it..there is nothing TO do, but to relax and open to it and know that the feeling or experience may change over time because that's the nature of it...I felt comfort in that...beautifully written Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Synchronicity. Love that. Thank you for your note!

      Delete